Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Highlander

Highlander the movie, released in 1986, was an epic achievement in motion picture history. Of course, this is just my opinion and I encourage debate if anyone cares to contribute to this thread. The movie made a huge impression on me and stirred my passion for SciFiction/Fantasy. I found the interweaving of flash backs very intriguing and utilized this plot device  in my first book (MoriaVaratu) patterned after this technique. It was a stroke of genius to "back fill" the history of the story's plot and made the story line brilliantly beautiful. What can I say, this movie had a major impact on my adolescent mind. It is one of those motion pictures that has stuck with me to this day.

An immortal Scottish swordsman must confront the last of his immortal opponent, a murderously brutal barbarian who lusts for the fabled "Prize". The casting was excellent, as was the acting. Sean Connery's contribution was superb, and his character was amiable and so heroic. Clancy Brown's performance as The Kurgan was terrifying, one of the best villians ever. Who can forget the scene in the church? "Forgive me Father but I am but a worm!" Awesomely evil.

Christopher Lambert was such a great hero. His journey was believable from being thrown out as an outcast by his Scottish clan, to the loss of his love to the coming of terms with his immortality. Add in a dash of comedic respite here and there and the haunting musical stylings of the rock band Queen and you have a compelling and unforgettable experience.

How romantically mysterious to have immortals born into a human society that has no concept of their existence. There is no wonder why this movie had a cult-like air around it.

Then came Highlander 2. What the hell happened there? It totally sucked. The story line completely destroyed the mystique of the first movie. Making the immortal aliens? What kind of morons did they have in the think tank for this movie. It was painful to watch them wreck something that was so intriguingly exquisite.

I just learned that Sean Connery was threatened into working on the project by the producers. It was pointed out that he signed on for the sequel within the initial contract and, when he refused to act in the second installment, he was threatened with a law suit that would have made him responsible for a cash sum of "projected revenue" this next movie would have supposedly made. They gave him little choice.

The Highlander franchise has endured, but I am sad to say, it will never compare to the original effort released in 1986. The destruction of the original concept is a travesty and has left me disillusioned with the production powers that be in Hollywood. Just a further example throughout recent history that tinsel town has lost their touch on the pulse of the American public.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I loved "Highlander" when it first came out. Like so many new ideas the first installment is generally the best. "There can be only one." should have been applied to the movie franchise, because, as you stated, the second really stunk up the place. If I'm not mistaken the third installment completely ignored the second and picked up where the first left off? Maybe it was the same guy that killed off Bobby Ewing in "Dallas" that wrote this? I don't recall Connor or Ramirez ever having an epiphany in a the shower that is was all a dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said Rick. I barely remember going to see Highlander 3. It fell well short of the personality of the original motion picture and I found it very forgettable. I agree whole heartedly "There can be only one."
      Thanks for contributing!

      Delete

Join in the conversation...