Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Rethink this Reboot

As impressed as I was with Iron Man 3 last week, I was conversely disappointed in Man of Steel tonight. Upon finishing this Superman Reboot one thought kept turning over within my fatigued brain after the lights came up and I stumbled from my chair. The country's economy could not endure the existence of this superhero.

The last half hour of the movie was an exhausting montage of fight scenes that left well over half the city of Metropolis in a twisted heap of shattered ruin. I found these scenes of battle, for the most part, well choreographed, but immensely over done. At films end it was obvious the producers tried to
make up for a weak plot with the overabundance of redundant action.

The story line seemed hurried and sloppily spliced together as the plot bounced back and forth between the present and the past. Superman's character was very uninspired as Henry Cavill's portrayal was extremely flat. Michael Shannon as General Zod and Russell Crowe as Jor-El gave valiant efforts in their roles. Amy Adams as Lois Lane gave a strong performance as well,  but, in the end it was not enough to make up for the general bland dialogue of the movie and the weak plot.

It was a shame for the opening sequence of the movie held so much promise. I had the impression of Avatar meets Star Wars throughout the entire Krypton segment of the films beginning, but, alas, the story telling attenuated from there and my high hopes plummeted.

 Comparing the Christopher Reeves version with this current effort I would conclude this modernized adaptation lacked the soul and personality of its predecessors. I would even give 2006’s Superman Returns much higher marks than this picture.

 I give this movie two and a half stars out of five.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Join in the conversation...